Friday, February 20, 2026
LIVE Premier League news conferences: Hurzeler 'feels support'; Wissa suffers knock
Howe says 'sleep was an issue' for his squad after their trip to Azerbaijan this week .... Hurzeler says he 'really feels the support' from Brighton despite just one win in their last eight matches
Top Headlines
Transfer News
Pinned
Today
Jose Mourinho and Real Madrid defender Raul Asencio have addressed recent controversies and injury concerns ahead of upcoming matches.
Benfica manager Jose Mourinho has addressed the fallout from his side’s midweek defeat to Real Madrid, specifically defending his controversial remarks regarding Vinicius Jr.
Mourinho admitted that managing the emotional aftermath has been difficult, stating, “It has not been easy to emotionally manage everything that has happened and continues to happen.”
He previously questioned the Brazilian’s goal celebration following alleged racist abuse.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid defender Raul Asencio has avoided a serious tibia injury after undergoing specialized treatment.
The 23-year-old center-back, who played through significant pain due to depleted defensive resources, declared at Valdebebas, “I am not stopping for anything.”
Having rested for nearly two weeks due to a technical decision and suspension, Asencio is expected to return to the squad for the clash against Osasuna.
Patrick Lacey, a former professional footballer and boxer and the older brother of Manchester United starlet Shea Lacey, has been charged with attempted murder following a shooting in Huyton last November.
Former footballer and professional boxer Patrick Lacey is one of four men charged with attempted murder following a shooting in Merseyside.
The 32-year-old was arrested Thursday alongside three others in connection with a November attack on a man in Huyton.
Charges include conspiracy to murder and possession of a firearm. Detective Inspector Chris Clark stated: “All four men will appear in court today.”
Lacey, the older brother of Manchester United’s Shea Lacey, previously played for Barrow and Accrington Stanley before pursuing a boxing career.
He fought professionally as recently as this month. Police are continuing their investigation into the incident, which left a victim with serious leg injuries.
Inspector Clark urged witnesses to “come forward” with any footage or accounts to assist the ongoing firearms investigation team.
Pep Guardiola has refused to discuss Manchester City’s sudden advantage in the Premier League title race, despite Arsenal dropping crucial points against Brentford and Wolves to leave the door open for the champions.
Pep Guardiola insisted he is not monitoring the Premier League table despite Arsenal’s recent slip-ups.
Following the Gunners’ collapse at Wolves, City can secure the title by winning their remaining twelve fixtures. Guardiola dismissed the hype, stating: “I didn’t talk about the position or the table. I could not care less.”
He emphasized that with so many games left, the title race remains “an eternity.”
The City manager also lauded January signing Antoine Semenyo, who has netted five goals since his £64m move.
While Savinho returns to the squad for Saturday’s clash against Newcastle, Jeremy Doku remains sidelined.
Guardiola noted the importance of focus, adding: “Yesterday and the day before it was Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle.” City aim to extend their historic unbeaten home record against the visiting Magpies.
Tudor prioritizes work, seeks results.
🇧🇪 Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany criticizes Jose Mourinho and backs Vinicius Junior amid racism saga.pic.twitter.com/naY01dsa8E
— Rifnote Sports (@Rifnotefootball) February 20, 2026
Yesterday
Santiago Castro’s early strike proved decisive as Bologna secured a narrow 1-0 win against SK Brann in the first leg of their Europa League play-off.
Bologna established control just nine minutes into the match at Brann Stadion.
Federico Bernardeschi intercepted a clearance before Niccolò Cambiaghi’s clever pass allowed Santiago Castro to find the net with a precise angled drive.
Despite the Rossoblu dominating much of the play, goalkeeper Lukasz Skorupski was forced into a desperate double save to deny Ulrik Mathisen and Jon Dagur Thorsteinssen before halftime.
The Italians continued to press in the second half, with substitute Riccardo Orsolini posing a constant threat.
Orsolini forced several saves from Mathias Dyngeland, while Thijs Dallinga nearly doubled the lead with a looping header.
Bologna now carries a slender advantage into the return leg at the Stadio Dall’Ara on February 26, as they aim to secure a spot in the round of 16.
Italian tactician Carlo Ancelotti has expressed a strong desire to extend his tenure with the Brazilian national team, aiming for a contract renewal that spans an additional four years.
The former Real Madrid manager, who transitioned to international football in May 2025, is already looking beyond the 2026 World Cup.
Speaking to Movistar, the 66-year-old admitted he was deeply impressed by the unique nature of the Seleção role.
“It is a new type of work, I was honestly really struck by it,” Ancelotti remarked, adding, “I think that I will renew my contract with Brazil for another four years.”
Since taking charge, Ancelotti has recorded two wins, one draw, and one defeat.
His commitment to the Brazilian Football Confederation suggests a long-term project targeting the 2028 Copa America and the 2030 World Cup.
This news dampens hopes from fans in his native Italy, who had long viewed him as a potential savior for an Azzurri side that has struggled significantly in recent years.
Arteta asks fans: support the team.
Eric Chelle’s 19-point conditions to NFF for a contract extension
1. Private car (SUV) with a chauffeur and security.
2. House in a well secured environment with 24hrs uninterrupted power supply (electricity).
3. Furnished office with projector for analysis.
4. Internet… pic.twitter.com/EPzqA49xxp— YabaLeftOnline (@yabaleftonline) February 19, 2026
Former Newcastle United and Marseille captain Habib Beye has been named head coach of Olympique de Marseille on an 18-month contract, succeeding Roberto De Zerbi.
Olympique de Marseille have confirmed the appointment of former captain Habib Beye as their new head coach.
The 48-year-old replaces Roberto De Zerbi, who departed following a heavy 5-0 defeat to rivals PSG.
Beye joins on an 18-month deal just nine days after being dismissed by Ligue 1 rivals Rennes, where he had guided the club to sixth place before a recent winless run.
The former Senegal international returns to the Vélodrome, where he previously spent four seasons as a player.
Club officials highlighted his “deep attachment” to the side as a key asset for re-motivating the squad.
Beye, a fan favorite during his time at Newcastle United, will make his managerial debut for the fourth-placed club this Saturday against Brest, aiming to secure a Champions League qualification spot.
Arsenal squandered a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 with bottom-placed Wolves, leaving them just five points ahead of Manchester City and facing a captaincy crisis.
Bukayo Saka has faced sharp criticism for a “flat” post-match interview following Arsenal’s 2-2 draw at Wolves.
Despite Saka and Piero Hincapie putting the Gunners in control, a stoppage-time collapse allowed Tom Edozie to level for the hosts.
Former England manager Glenn Hoddle questioned Saka’s leadership demeanor, remarking, “Your demeanour needs to be a little bit more up… he was very flat.”
The draw marks a worrying trend for Mikel Arteta’s side, who have won just twice in their last seven league outings.
Manchester City now trail by five points with a game in hand, meaning the gap could shrink to two points by Saturday night.
The result has reignited fears of a late-season crumble, with pundits suggesting “doubt is creeping into the minds” of the squad.
Arsenal must now travel to 16th-placed Tottenham on Sunday for a high-stakes North London Derby.
Spurs will be led by new interim manager Igor Tudor, who replaced Thomas Frank following their slide toward the relegation zone.
With Saka and Leandro Trossard both nursing knocks from Molineux, the Gunners’ depth and mental fortitude face their most rigorous test of the campaign.
Kompany defends Vinícius against Mourinho’s claims.
Gabriel Jesus received a post-match yellow card for his role in a confrontation with Wolves defenders as Arsenal’s frustrations boiled over following a 2-2 draw.
Arsenal’s disappointing 2-2 draw with Wolves ended in chaos as a scuffle broke out at the final whistle. Gabriel Jesus was booked for shoved Yerson Mosquera to the ground, reflecting the squad’s anger after blowing a two-goal lead.
The result leaves the Gunners five points ahead of Manchester City, having failed to capitalize on early goals from Bukayo Saka and Piero Hincapie.
The collapse drew sharp criticism regarding the team’s mental fortitude in the title race.
Bukayo Saka acknowledged the decline in quality after the break, stating, “We dropped our standards and we got punished for it.” Manager Mikel Arteta echoed this sentiment, demanding his players respond immediately.
The incident at Molineux serves as a stark warning as Arsenal prepare for a high-stakes North London derby.
